Too often, the long-awaited replenishment of nine months in the family brings a woman not only pleasant emotions, but also serious changes in the body with varicose veins, a general aesthetic problem and a dangerous pathology. What can cause varicose veins during pregnancy and what methods should be used to combat the disease.
Causes of varicose veins
Many women develop varicose veins during pregnancy because there are many conditions and triggers for this. The main reasons for the development of varicose veins in childhood:
- Hormonal changes in the body. In pregnant women, varicose veins are often associated with an increase in the concentration of progesterone, which weakens the blood vessels, swells the veins in the legs,
- genetic predisposition. The more relatives with varicose veins, the higher the risk of a woman with this pathology. It is important to keep in mind that every subsequent pregnancy with varicose veins will be accompanied by a worsening of the condition of the veins in the legs,
- Against the background of an increase in the size of the uterus, the additional load faced by venous blood flow,
- Excess weight that increases the load on the lower body, the presence of chronic constipation, cough and other pathologies that cause an increase in blood pressure.
Indirect factors include low physical activity, insufficient fiber intake, tight clothing and uncomfortable shoes. Stagnation occurs, which explodes and deforms the arteries.
Symptoms of varicose veins
Varicose veins during pregnancy are very easy to identify, because they are characterized by different symptoms that can be differentiated depending on the stage of pathological development:
- In the first stage, a woman may be bothered by a slight pain in the legs, swelling in the afternoon and the appearance of a feeling of fullness,
- Later, external signs of varicose veins begin to appear. So, if the skin of the feet is covered with a network of veins, we are definitely talking about varicose veins,
- The late stages of varicose veins in pregnant women are characterized by serious changes. We are talking about a strong swelling of the arteries and the appearance of night cramps.
Varicose veins are also dangerous with serious complications - thrombosis and the formation of trophic ulcers where the vein is inflamed. Bumps and nodules form under the skin.
Why are varicose veins dangerous during pregnancy?
In most cases, varicose veins that occur during pregnancy are not accompanied by serious complications, but timely treatment will prevent the development of the disease.
When varicose veins are often ignored, women face the following:
- Thrombophlebitis. The complication is characterized by the formation of blood clots in the arteries,
- Bleeding that can occur as a result of the slightest damage to the skin,
- venous eczema,
- The skin of the feet has a brown color,
- Development of venous ulcers in the ankles.
In advanced cases, the disease causes complications associated with the formation of blood clots in the blood vessels, impaired blood clotting.
Varicose veins can lead to life-threatening conditions with a risk of death for the future mother and child.
Features of treatment of varicose veins during pregnancy
How and when to treat varicose veins during pregnancy - the answer to this question should consult a specialist, because the choice of treatment depends mainly on the stage of the pathology, the existing contraindications.
Drug treatment of varicose veins during pregnancy involves not only the relief of external symptoms of the disease, but also the effect on the pathology of drugs that help normalize blood flow.
When prescribing a course of treatment for pregnant women, modern specialists often prefer phlebotropic compounds, phlebotonics and heparin-based products.
They are the main external agents for the treatment of varicose veins at all stages, so an ointment or cream for the legs from varicose veins should be used for pregnant women. In this case, self-medication is not necessary, because it is fraught with allergic reactions that can occur in response to the use of compounds that are intolerant to the individual. Not only women but also children are at risk of allergies.
Safety and any therapeutic effect will be achieved with the use of ointments and gels. Each drug reduces the risk of blood clots, helps eliminate swelling and inflammation, and strengthens blood vessel walls. Smear legs knocks should be up to three times.
Tablets should also be prescribed only by the attending physician, because each drug has many contraindications and is fraught with side effects.
In rare cases, varicose veins in the legs can progress rapidly during pregnancy, what to do with advanced forms of pathology? In this case, a woman may be recommended surgery.
The main indications for surgery are the final stage of varicose veins, in which incurable trophic ulcers are broken, blood is released, as well as an open form of thrombophlebitis, which can affect the extremities.
During pregnancy, the operation should be performed only by scratching. During the operation, with the help of a special microbe, the specialist gets rid of the affected areas in the veins.
This technique is characterized by rapid recovery and lack of pain, which is important during childbirth. Surgery is only recommended from the first trimester to the third trimester of pregnancy.
Treatment of varicose veins at home with folk remedies is allowed only in the early stages of development. In this case, an allergic reaction that may occur in response to the natural substances used should also be considered.
Proven folk remedies include:
- Compress based on chamomile, which should be infused with any vegetable oil. It is recommended to apply the resulting composition to the inflamed areas of the feet twice a day.
- A compress of chopped milk (1 cup) with wormwood (1 tablespoon), which should be applied to the feet in the morning and evening, leave for 10-15 minutes,
- Hop cone-based infusion compresses. This product can also be added to foot baths, after which it is recommended to keep the lower limbs in a high position for a while,
- Tea based on strawberry leaves, clover flowers. These drinks help to normalize blood circulation.
It is important!
Many herbs (calendula, nettle, juniper, sage) can cause uterine tone, so it is necessary to use medicinal ingredients under strict medical supervision.
Timely prevention of varicose veins during pregnancy will help to avoid many problems. The main requirements for a woman during childbirth are:
- Minimize vascular stress. We are talking about staying in a stationary state full of blood stasis for a long time,
- It is better to rest in a supine position, placing your feet slightly above body level. This will help the blood to flow and reduce swelling,
- Follow a moderately active lifestyle, including slow walks.
On the advice of a specialist, compression stockings can be taken to reduce the load on the arteries, improve blood circulation in the arteries, and improve the patient's condition.
Following these simple rules will minimize the risk of developing varicose veins, which can overshadow the long-awaited pregnancy.