Prevention of any disease is easier than cure. For example, prevention of varicose veins will protect against the development of an unpleasant disease. This can be done at home, without serious time and physical costs. Your efforts will pay off with beautiful and healthy legs.
Vascular disease was known in ancient Egypt. However, this problem was treated in a very barbaric way - the swollen veins were burned and the legs were wrapped tightly with a cloth.
Modern medicine offers a more humane and painless treatment. The causes of varicose veins are also known:
- genetic predisposition:
- bad habits (smoking, alcohol);
- frequent wearing of tight shoes and clothes;
- lack of physical activity.
Based on these factors, prophylactic measures have been developed to prevent or exacerbate the disease.
How to prevent the appearance of varicose veins in the legs? Follow these simple tips to avoid feeling the symptoms of the disease.
- Wear comfortable and comfortable shoes with a heel no more than 6 cm. Leave a tall stiletto for special events.
- Move more and walk, use the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Fall in love with cycling, because riding an iron horse will give your feet health and beauty.
- Do gymnastics by moving your legs left and right in a circle in different directions. You should also stand on your heels and toes. Such procedures can be done at home.
- Swimming is a good prevention of varicose veins.
Prohibited activities include weightlifting and weightlifting, as well as large bags that must be brought from the store.
How to prevent varicose veins - an integrated approach
Varicose veins are not just a disease, they are a reflection of your lifestyle and the condition of the body as a whole. Prevention of vascular diseases requires a more in-depth approach - correction of nutrition, proper organization of work and rest, identification of potential hazards and causes of vascular weakening, regular medical examinations.
Some preventive measures for varicose veins.
- Compression therapy. We are talking about corrective underwear, ie elastic socks, golfs and tights.
- Weight normalization. The extra pounds help develop varicose veins in the legs, and the treatment will not have the expected effect.
- Quit smoking. The walls of the blood vessels strongly feel the negative effects of this bad habit.
- Foot massage. Even at home, you can independently massage your feet for five minutes with light movements from foot to groin. Self-massage is best done after a small load. This procedure is as important as prevention. In the case of a disease with complications, massage is contraindicated.
To prevent this problem, experts recommend regular back massage courses with a chiropractor and a professional massage therapist. Together, your actions will be much more pleasant and cheaper than the treatment of the disease.
- Sports. If you have a sedentary job, how can you prevent varicose veins? Sign up for aerobics, run in the morning, swim and ride a bike. Physical activity should be moderate so that there is no excessive stress on the legs. You can do a "bike" exercise at home. As your training progresses, keep your feet as low as possible. This increases the effectiveness of training. Live an active lifestyle, because it is important not only for the health of the arteries in the legs, but also for good mood.
- hygiene procedures. The cleanliness of the spaces between the toes should be monitored, as any microtrauma, abrasions, corns, fungal formations, and diaper rash are possible causes of varicose veins. When a wound appears, it is necessary to carry out the necessary treatment - treat it with a 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide, lubricate the skin around the affected area with iodine and apply an antiseptic bandage.
For the feet, doctors recommend a hot bath or contrast shower with salt and candle essential oil. In the morning, wash your feet from the shower to the ankles with enough cool water. Good for the prevention and treatment of varicose veins.
- Strengthening the walls of blood vessels. An experienced phlebologist will tell you how to prevent varicose veins with the help of venotonic drugs. The course should be conducted 2-3 times a year.
- Get rid of stress. Chronic fatigue, overwork and depression are the main reasons why the arteries of the legs do not work. Consult a neurologist who will prescribe sedatives and herbs that you can infuse at home. Hydromassage and soothing massage will help calm the nervous system. Learn not to take everything to heart.
- special diet. Replace animal fats with vegetable oils. Consume olive oil, which contains omega-3 acids that improve blood flow. It is useful to use a little honey at night by dissolving it in the mouth. If you are allergic to bee products, replace them with ginseng or lemon tea.
- Normal bowel function. Constipation can lead to varicose veins, because by straining you stop the blood flow in the veins in your legs. Eat more fiber (fresh vegetables, fruits, grains, greens) for normal bowel movements. Stay away from spicy, smoked and delicate foods, then there will be no problems. If diet does not help, you should contact a gastroenterologist who will prescribe the necessary treatment.
- Proper work. When choosing a profession, as a rule, they are guided by their talents and abilities. Heavy physical labor, prolonged sitting and standing are among the risk factors that trigger the appearance of vascular disease. If you are prone to varicose veins or already have this disease, choose a job carefully, paying attention to the working conditions. It will be useful for those who sit all day to know special exercises to normalize blood flow. Try to put your feet in a chair or a special stand from time to time, preferably take off your shoes. Get up on your feet every 2 hours and get on your toes, tearing off your heels. This compresses the calf muscles, which in turn increases blood flow and eliminates blockages in the arteries. How to prevent varicose veins while working in the office? At work, go from floor to floor, forget about the elevator and try to climb the stairs. Get rid of the bad habit of cross-legged. So you squeeze the veins and the varicose veins will not wait for you. Those who work on their feet should stretch their legs a little every hour for five minutes. You can climb or squat on your toes.
- Choosing the right shoes. At home, try walking barefoot to stretch your legs. It is recommended to go to work only in comfortable shoes with wedges or medium heels.
Diagnosis - varicose veins
If it is impossible to avoid the onset of the disease, you should organize your day to minimize the load on the arteries. The above recommendations are completely suitable for you, it is only worth consulting a doctor about massage. You need to follow a number of recommendations to prevent the recurrence of varicose veins in the legs and its treatment.
- Relax by raising your lower extremities. To do this, lift the edge of the bed or put a roller for the legs, thus improving the outflow of venous blood. This should be done for a short break during the day and at bedtime.
- Do not wear tight elastic band socks, knees and socks, as they help to constrict the arteries, which causes swelling of the feet. It is also good not to wear nylon products, as they cause itching and skin irritation. If you start scanning these areas, you may present an infection that is causing inflammation or phlebitis. Avoid tight underwear and clothes, it is better to prefer loose forms.
- Prefer comfortable shoes with heels up to 4 cm. If you have flat feet, use arch supports.
- With varicose veins in the legs, you can't drastically change the climate, because a drop in pressure and changes in temperature create a load on the blood vessels. It is advisable to plan a vacation in places where the climate is close to the living space.
- Be careful for colds and overheating.
At home, do simple exercises that will help prevent the disease from getting worse.
Immediately after waking up, you can not get out of bed with a sharp jerk. The veins in the legs need to be prepared for the "transition" from the vertical to the horizontal position. First, bend your legs in a circle, left, right. Bend and open your legs at the knee and hip joints. Get on a sports bike. You can get up after 5-10 minutes of leg training.
Repeat gymnastics before going to bed, because it improves blood flow and reduces swelling. It is good as both prevention and treatment.
Prevention of varicose veins or prevention of its exacerbation requires the development of the habit of walking about 30-40 minutes before bedtime. Sitting in front of the TV and computer, you help the blood to stagnate, and as a result - the blockage of blood vessels in the legs (thrombosis).
When diagnosing varicose veins, it is necessary to exercise twice a day, which can be described as drug-free treatment. The exercises are very simple and easy to perform at home.
Those undergoing surgery or sclerotherapy for varicose veins should see a phlebologist once a year. The doctor will examine the condition of your feet, order an ultrasound, and then prescribe medication or make recommendations that should be taken at home.