Varicose veins are considered to be an increase in both the length and diameter of the veins, accompanied by thinning of the vessel wall. The cause of the disease is a violation of the elasticity of the walls of blood vessels due to dysfunction of vascular valves. Treatment of varicose veins of the lower extremities and other segments of the human body consists of medication and special therapeutic exercises.
Benefits of therapeutic exercises
Varicose veins are a disease that prevents you from living a quality and fulfilling life. It is almost impossible to get rid of it, but there are many ways to improve the condition of blood vessels, prevent inflammation and complications. Pathology affects women more than men. Statistics show that varicose veins develop most at the working age, after 30-40 years.
Observations have shown that people who lead a sedentary lifestyle are at risk for varicose veins. Therefore, the main tool in the fight against the disease is therapeutic exercise. Developed by experienced phlebologists and angiosurgeons. The complex is based on special exercises:
- normalize lymph flow;
- improve general physical fitness;
- increase endurance;
- activate arterial blood flow;
- accelerate blood circulation;
- increase vascular tone.
A sedentary lifestyle and lack of exercise cause congestion in the organs, especially in the lower extremities, which increases the pressure of blood fluid in the arteries and excess lymph. In the senses, it manifests itself in the form of pain in the legs, difficulty in movement, swelling. According to a specially designed scheme, regular loads eliminate discomfort and pain.
Who shows exercises for varicose veins?
Therapeutic exercises for varicose veins are primarily indicated by specialists for people diagnosed with varicose veins of the lower extremities. You should also do special gymnastic exercises for people:
- lead a sedentary lifestyle;
- whose job it is to sit or stand for long periods of time;
- having bad habits;
- prefer to cross your legs often while sitting;
- relatives suffering from this disease.
Experts recommend 15 to 30 minutes of therapeutic exercise a day. It is better to do exercises several times a day. You need to take a break every hour to move during the day.
One of the most effective and affordable options for therapeutic exercises is walking. At least 10, 000 steps should be taken every day for the health of the arteries of the legs.
Features of physical activity
The negative effect on varicose veins is the lack of physical activity and overload. Do not join therapeutic exercises until you are tired.
Another important factor in therapeutic exercise is clothing. You do not need to wear tight and tight uniforms for gymnastics. This is especially true of the lower extremities. Leggings, pants, skinny pants will put pressure on the skin and squeeze the blood vessels. Choose wide sports pants made of natural fabrics.
Be sure to consult your lead physician before starting classes. You should also consult a doctor after gymnastics. Make it a point to visit a phlebologist or angiosurgeon every 2 months. Regular monitoring of tests and diagnostics will allow you to control the pathology, identify progress or complications, and correct subsequent actions.
What sports can be done with varicose veins?
With varicose veins of the lower extremities, sudden movements and all sports not associated with excessive loads on the legs are shown. Doctors recommend giving preference:
- Dance no more than 40 minutes;
- run, no more than 15 minutes;
For varicose veins, any sport in which you are allowed to sit or sit on your back is allowed. For example, you can do exercises for the arms, abdomen, develop flexibility.
What not to do with varicose veins
You should not do sports associated with increased stress on the legs. If you have varicose veins of the lower extremities, the following exercises and activities are contraindicated for you:
- step aerobics;
- strength exercises in the legs to build muscle mass (foot press);
- thrown forward and sideways;
- jump rope;
- hockey and so on.
During the implementation of the above, the valves of the vessels do not function fully. The walls of the arteries tighten, the valves do not move the reverse flow, resulting in no reverse blood flow.
It is important!
Great attention should be paid to shoes. With varicose veins, high-quality sneakers or sneakers with air soles should be preferred.
A basic set of exercises for all types of diseases
The general set of therapeutic exercises developed by highly qualified phlebologists is suitable for all types of varicose veins. Prepare a non-slip mat, comfortable uniform and special shoes for classes. Basic exercises:
- From a supine position, you should hold one leg below the knee joint and pull it to your chest. Then straighten a squeezed limb and freeze for a few seconds. Carefully lower it. Do the same with the second leg.
- Lift both legs out of the lying position and hold them straight for a few seconds. Then bend your knees and straighten again. Stay in this position. Lower both legs and repeat the cycle after 3-4 seconds.
- From a supine position, lift your legs at right angles and rotate your legs with each limb in turn. Training should be done clockwise and counterclockwise.
- From a supine position, lift your feet at right angles, straighten them for a few seconds, and work intensively with your toes.
- In the supine position, lift your legs at a right angle and make movements with your feet, stretch your socks and pull them towards you. Also, the legs should be turned to the side - inwards and outwards.
- In the sitting position, you need to straighten your legs and move your legs in different directions, as well as make circular movements in one direction and the other.
- From a position that extends over your back or abdomen, you should press your arms across your body and, alternatively, lift your straight leg as high as possible. At the highest point, hold the joint for a few seconds and gently lower it.
- While breathing, stand on your feet, lift your upper limbs, separate them, lean your body forward and one of your legs backwards. Pull the "swallow".
- In a standing position, transfer body weight smoothly, rolling from heel to toe and back.
- Walk around the room for 15 minutes, either on your heels or on your toes.
All exercises have a beneficial effect on the condition of blood vessels, blood and lymph flow. Each of them should be repeated 10-15 times. It is better if you find the opportunity to perform the whole complex at least 2 times a day.
Therapeutic exercises for varicose veins of the lower extremities include emptying of blood vessels, activation of blood flow and lymph flow:
- When lying down, place a large pillow or several small pillows under your feet. Make sure the feet are level, move them 20 degrees away from the horizontal part of the floor. Relax in this situation.
- From a lying position on the floor, bend your lower limbs, resting your heels on the ground. The arms extend across the body and at the back, at the hips. As you breathe in, lift the upper end of your torso and sit up. As you breathe in, lie down slowly and gently.
- With the arms extended across the body, raise both legs by 20 degrees, then lift the floor by placing a pillow between the legs. As you breathe in, lower your legs.
- Pay attention to the upper shoulder girdle and legs from a supine position. As you breathe in, raise your hips and lower yourself to the floor, freeze for a few seconds, and lower yourself as you breathe out.
- From a lying position, you need to extend your arms across your body, bend your legs at the knees and put them on the floor. Then inhale and exhale, take a deep breath and exhale.
Each exercise should be done at least 15 times. Regular exercise will prevent complications and improve the quality of blood vessels.
Perform the following set of therapeutic exercises to reduce anxiety with varicose veins and improve the condition of blood vessels:
- In the supine position, you should lift the elongated straight lower and upper extremities at right angles. Hold the position for a few seconds, even taking a deep breath. Shake your arms and legs in a raised position for 2-3 minutes.
- Standing, you should place your palms on the back of your head and bend them into a lock on the back of your head. Make smooth body turns to the right and left.
- When standing, you should extend your arms parallel to the ground and press your palms into your fists. Hold the position for a few seconds and spread your fingers as far as possible.
- Raise one arm from the lying position, resist with the other hand, cling to the wrist of the rising limb. Do this for both hands.
- Lift the outstretched arms from a standing position and force your fingers into the fists and open them. Avoid at least 80 times.
Each exercise should be done at least 15-20 times. The greatest effect will be therapeutic exercises that you perform at least twice a day.
Bad habits, especially smoking, are of great importance in the condition of the arteries. Quit smoking, which has a negative effect on the condition of your blood vessels.
Exercises for the small pelvis
A series of exercises should be performed to remove the blockage with varicose veins in the small pelvis:
- In the supine position, lift your legs bent at the knees and perform the "cycling" exercise. Make sure your back is pressed to the ground. Ride a simulated bike in one direction and the other. Turn your feet in one direction for at least 3 minutes.
- In the supine position, extend your arms across your body, lift your outstretched legs 20-25 degrees above the ground, and perform horizontal scissor exercises.
- In the supine position, extend your arms across your body, raise your outstretched legs 40-55 degrees above the floor surface, and perform the "vertical scissors" exercise.
- It is necessary to pay attention to the head and shoulder blades from the lying position. As you breathe in, you should lift your legs and pull your hips off the ground - perform the maple posture. Support your back with your hands. Extend your legs at a right angle to the ground and bend at the knees.
- In the standing position, the legs should be spread wider than the shoulders. Straighten your back, and while breathing, slowly squat halfway before reaching the thighs, which are parallel to the ground. Stabilize yourself in this position for a few seconds. Slowly take the starting position.
- It is necessary to pay attention to the arms extending from the sitting position on the floor. One leg should be bent at the knee and the other should be straightened to the maximum amplitude.
All exercises should be performed in 15-20 repetitions.
Regardless of the location of varicose veins, perform several complexes that help to strengthen the overall venous vessels:
- From a standing position, transfer body weight and roll from toe to heel. Do not make sudden movements, breathe deeply and evenly, maintain your balance. Make at least 30 rolls.
- When standing, walk in place without lifting your toes, taking turns lifting your heels, and shifting your weight from one foot to the other. Complete at least 30 exercises.
- Breathe in a standing position, pull your shoulders back, try to connect the shoulder blades and remove the chest. As you breathe in, bring your shoulders forward and lower your head to your chest. Perform the exercise slowly, at least 15-20 times.
- Breathe from a standing position, raise your arms straight and lie on your toes. Freeze for a few seconds and slowly lower yourself. Repeat at least 15-20 times.
- Tighten and relax the gluteal muscles in any position. Freeze for a few seconds under tension. Do several sets a day. The number of repetitions at a time is at least 15-20.
These exercises do not take much time, but serve as an excellent tool for activating lymph and venous blood flow.
Exercises to prevent varicose veins
Prevention of any disease is better than cure. If you are at risk or have all the conditions for the development of varicose veins, start preventive exercise in advance:
- In the supine position, extend your arms along the torso. Raise your flat feet to a low chair. Alternatively, pull your toe towards you. Repeat at least 15-20 times with each leg.
- In the supine position, extend the upper extremities along the body, lift the straightened legs and spread them to the sides as much as possible. Perform at least 15-20 leg rotations in each direction.
- Stretch your arms straight across your body as you lie on your back. Raise your straight legs 45 degrees and separate them from each other. Make circular motions by bending your legs in and out on your knees. Repeat 15-20 times.
- While breathing, lift your legs straight from a supine position. Lift your breasts off the ground and help yourself with your hands to straighten your back. Make sure your feet are perpendicular to the ground. Spread your legs to the sides and swing left and right, forward and backward. Keep your balance.
Periodically do a few light jumps on your toes during the day. Then take a break and jump again.
Additional methods for the treatment of the disease
As an additional recommendation for varicose veins, doctors recommend a comprehensive approach to the problem:
- adjust your diet, add vegetables, fruits, fish and seafood to the menu;
- to give up bad habits;
- choose comfortable underwear that does not restrict movement;
- wear compression stockings, tights, stockings;
- to do therapeutic exercises;
- walk every day;
- go swimming;
- go for lymphatic drainage massage.
There are also a number of folk methods for the treatment of varicose veins.
Massage for varicose veins of the lower extremities should be performed by a qualified specialist. This is a scheme of movements along the massage lines, which accelerates lymph flow and improves the function of blood vessels. If you do not have the opportunity to participate in a course of massage in a medical institution, perform manipulations at home, remembering a few rules:
- All movements should be directed to the lymph nodes. For example, if you are massaging the foot below the knee, then make all the transitions from the lower leg to the patella. Beneath this, the lymph nodes are concentrated.
- Don't push too much. Adjust the pressure, do not allow the veins to constrict.
- Use massage creams or ointments for varicose veins.
At the end of the working day, a light foot massage will have a beneficial effect on overall well-being, dispel lymph and relieve fatigue.
The diet for varicose veins includes general principles of proper nutrition:
- fried, salty, smoked exceptions;
- limit salt intake;
- drink at least 1. 5 liters of clean drinking water;
- eat vegetables and fruits daily;
- enrich the menu with fish dishes;
- eat cereal in the morning;
- Avoid flour, sweets, animal fats, margarine;
- prefer lean meats - turkey, chicken, rabbit, beef, veal;
- steam or boil the dish.
In addition to a balanced diet, choose a vitamin complex with your doctor. It is important to lose weight when it is far from normal. Increased pressure on the arteries will cause complications.
As an aid in the treatment of varicose veins, there are folk recipes that have proven themselves in a positive way:
- Ointments from tree lice, horse chestnut, celandine, wormwood, cabbage, Kalanchoe, willow bark. To prepare, take one of the crushed raw materials, mix it with 300 ml of vegetable oil and heat in a water bath for 15 minutes. Cool the mixture and strain it. Add animal fat to the product for consistency. Rub the medicine on your feet every day.
- Kalanchoe tincture. Take chopped grass and pour it with medical alcohol in a ratio of 1: 1. Leave the mixture in a dark, cool place for 2 weeks. Then apply to the skin from the bottom of the foot to the knees every evening.
- Apple cider vinegar. Ordinary 9% apple cider vinegar should be rubbed on the lower extremities. The product is rich in vitamins and minerals needed for blood vessels. Effectively eliminates puffiness & improves blood circulation
- Honey dressing. Natural honey is applied to the skin of the feet and wrapped in polyethylene. The beneficial components of honey have a beneficial effect on the condition of blood vessels. Exposure time is 2 hours.
- Cabbage leaf compresses. Cabbage has long been proven to be effective against poorly healing wounds, inflammation of the skin and blood vessels. Apply to feet and cover with adhesive film. You can keep it for at least 2 hours or leave the product overnight.
- Iodine networks. A mesh is applied to the feet with ordinary medical iodine using a cotton swab. The tool improves the condition of inflamed blood vessels.
You can use vodka instead of medical alcohol to prepare folk remedies.
Don't just rely on traditional treatments. Treatment should be chosen by a doctor.
Contraindications to physiotherapy exercises for varicose veins
In pathology, you can not overload the legs. Physical complexes are designed to relieve pain and improve the condition of the arteries. You should refrain from therapeutic exercises in the following cases:
- exacerbation of varicose veins;
- worsening of the condition after training;
- diseases not related to varicose veins.
Any concerns should be reported to a physician. Only with a specialist can you choose the right treatment.
In the treatment of varicose veins, it is important to take a comprehensive approach to the problem. In addition to drug therapy, therapeutic exercises are highly effective. The success of the exercises depends on the regularity and calculation of the load. See your doctor regularly to monitor the results.