Varicose veins in the legs (VVV) are a scourge of modern society. And if women used to suffer from varicose veins, they were, to put it mildly, "old", but today the disease has "rejuvenated" and began to affect even young girls.
What can we say, even men often began to see a doctor with complaints of varicose veins in the legs. Why this happens, what are varicose veins, what are the symptoms, what should be the treatment, its cost, will be discussed in this article.
What are varicose veins in the legs? (VRV)
Varicose veins, or varicose veins, are a change in the length and size of the veins in the lower leg, accompanied by thinning of the venous wall and the appearance of "knots. "
This happens when the arteries do not work properly. There is a violation of blood flow due to a decrease in tone.
The arteries have one-way valves that prevent blood from flowing back. When these valves fail, blood begins to collect in the arteries instead of going to the heart. Therefore, the veins dilate.
As a result of varicose veins, the blood stagnates and gradually causes the veins to deform.
Veins don't look attractive - whoever sees them knows! Wide, bluish spots on the legs and hips force women to wear long skirts in the summer. All of these are symptoms of varicose veins that need immediate treatment.
Every day, our hardworking feet have to contend with gravity. Affects blood flow due to problems caused by the disease.
This power is beneficial in itself, especially for the organs and systems above the heart. But for the legs and blood vessels - not at all.
Statistics show that varicose veins occur in 10% of people, 90% of whom are women.
7 main reasons for the appearance of VRV
There are several main causes of varicose veins in the legs:
- Damage to venous valves.Moreover, it can be inherited or acquired in nature. This causes the blood vessels to overflow.
- Staying the body upright for a long time(permanent job).
- Excess weight and excess cholesterol in the body. In this case, cholesterol plaques form in the arteries, preventing blood fluid from passing through all the arteries.
- High blood pressureobserved in muscle tension, going to the toilet during pregnancy, lifting heavy weights.
- Hormonal disorders and endocrine problems.This explains why the disease manifests itself during adolescence, pregnancy or menopause.
- Nervous system pathologies.The condition of the venous wall is affected by the nerve endings there. Due to the constant damage of toxic substances (alcohol, pills, cigarettes), the pressure in the arteries rises, which affects the principle of nerve endings.
- Presence of background diseases- tumors, scars, trauma, constipation, cough.
Since it is not possible to delay the treatment of varicose veins, only a phlebologist can determine the true cause of varicose veins, which should be contacted at the first signs of the disease.
25% of men and women have symptoms of BPV
Problems are very common, especially in women. About 25% of all adults have varicose veins. In most cases, this pathology appears in the lower extremities.
There are several signs that you may be experiencing this problem:
- discoloration of the legs: now they are not blue, but purple, dark blue;
- appearance of brown skin pigmentation in the legs and ankles;
- regular appearance of intense pain in the legs;
- episodic cramps in the lower extremities, or rather muscles;
- in the initial stage, the veins with varicose veins thicken;
- ulcerative defects appear on the skin of the joints and legs.
All these signs are individual. If so, the disease should be diagnosed. If the diagnosis is confirmed, do not hesitate to treat.
At first, dilated veins cause only aesthetic discomfort, and over time there is a risk of damage to the arteries and blood vessels with the slightest complication. Timely treatment of varicose veins is important.
Many people mistakenly believe that if men wear flat shoes and do not carry children, varicose veins will skip them. Indeed, from a physiological point of view, this is so.
But do not forget about other factors and causes, such as weight gain, working out in the gym, being overweight, genetic characteristics, inactivity.
In general, there are enough reasons to deal with this disease. Varicose veins often affect men after 40 years. It is accompanied by the following symptoms:
- Feeling of muscle tension.
- Ankle and calf growth.
- Formation of small ulcers on the legs.
- Aching and throbbing pains.
In general, the manifestation of symptoms and treatment of varicose veins in men is similar to a gynecological disease. It is recommended to see photos of other people to understand what varicose veins look like.
What are the dangers and complications of the disease?
If left untreated, the pathology has a negative effect on the whole body. Varicose veins not only cause cosmetic defects (shown above), but also cause more serious complications in the body:
- metabolic disease;
- appearance of blood clots;
- swelling of the legs;
- malnutrition in cells and tissues;
- skin pigmentation.
An increase in blood pressure causes an increasingly slow blood flow inside the body. The clots sit on the feet and spoil the aesthetics of both men's and women's feet. At the same time, toxins accumulate in the tissues, which play the role of metabolic by-products.
If you start treatment, you are more likely to develop a more complex disease - venous insufficiency.
There are several conditions that can lead to varicose veins: skin ulcers, eczema, heavy bleeding, blood clot blockage, persistent edema, skin dermatitis, nourishment of cells and tissues of the legs, increased skin pigmentation.
4 possible diagnostic methods
Often people do not consult a doctor in the early stages of the disease. Fatigue and pain after physical activity are attributed to age-related changes, but not to varicose veins.
However, when the condition worsens and you show obvious signs of varicose veins, you can often meet people at the clinic. Often an experienced doctor can determine the presence of a disease based on the symptoms and then prescribe treatment.
Additional diagnostic measures may be prescribed to confirm the diagnosis:
- Ultrasonic Doppler.Such an examination is often prescribed for varicose veins.
- Phlebomanometry.With the help of such an event you can study the internal venous pressure.
- Duplex scanning.This procedure helps determine the condition of the walls and valves.
- Phlebography.The doctor injects a special contrast agent into the veins, after which an X-ray is taken to help study the blood flow and how it passes through the blood vessels.
There are other diagnostic procedures that a doctor can prescribe in cases of severe varicose veins. But often 1-2 events are enough.
You can't do anything without adequate treatment of varicose veins, in practice, the disease has not gone away on its own. But there are a few things you can do to reduce your symptoms and improve your overall condition.
- Exercise as much as possible with regular exercise. Change your body position when you feel tired.
- The first step in treatment is to choose compression tights that will normalize the condition of the legs and improve their appearance.
- Take a special bath in the evening. The truth is that taking a shower in the morning can cause fluid retention, impaired blood flow, and pain.
- Follow your lifestyle during pregnancy - eat right, eat more vegetables and fruits to prevent varicose veins.
Who is a phlebologist and how can they help?
It is worth contacting a phlebologist who will diagnose and prescribe treatment at the first signs of varicose veins. At the initial stage, the doctor prescribes drugs that alleviate the general condition and increase vascular tone.
However, if the disease persists, an operation is required to remove the dilated vessel, after which you must prepare for rehabilitation.
The main tasks of treatment of varicose veins are:
- removal of the inflammatory process;
- strengthen the walls of blood vessels;
- increased blood flow;
- treatment of complications.
Doctors often prescribe the following medications to treat varicose veins:
- Venotics.After use, the walls of blood vessels become more elastic, the structure is restored and blood circulation improves.
- Anticoagulants.They reduce blood clotting, which protects a person from blood clots.
- Various ointments and creams.They tone the affected area.
- Antiplatelets.Medications cause blood clots to dissolve.
Surgery for varicose veins
Some time ago, such treatment was very traumatic, but existing technology has made it more subtle. Endoscopic devices are used to remove the vessels, which are placed by puncture.
Often the operation (called phlebectomy) is performed under local anesthesia, except in advanced cases. There is practically no postoperative suturing.
When this disease is detected, sclerotherapy is often prescribed. This is a treatment that involves injecting a specific drug into the vein that has a sclerotic effect.
As a result, the walls of the blood vessels stick together and blood flow stops. The procedure itself is performed under anesthesia. Compression underwear is used after treatment.
To treat the disease, the doctor may use radiofrequency coagulation. The operation itself is performed using ultrasound, after which the reflux from a vein under the skin stops. There is no need to remain in a sedentary environment after the procedure.
Laser treatment of varicose veins is popular among modern methods. The cost depends on the type of clinic and the severity of the disease.
Question and answer
What is the prognosis of this disease?
Unfortunately, this pathology is not easily treated. Experience has shown that in 80% of people the disease develops again after surgical removal. Therefore, it is important to start treatment of the disease as early as possible. In advanced cases, the prognosis is often disappointing and depends on the underlying disease.
When should you see a doctor for early detection of pathology?
If your legs start to get tired quickly, swollen, and you feel heavy, you should see a doctor. These are the first signals of the development of pathology. In the future, spider veins will begin to appear, which indicates stagnation.
How important is exercise for varicose veins?
Gymnastics is an integral stage in the treatment and prevention of pathology. Many people do not appreciate the benefits of this. By the way, many doctors recommend that you exercise regularly, even if you do not have the disease. This will protect your feet from vascular problems.
Conservative therapy for varicose veins
Based on the causal factors in the development of the disease, the patient is prescribed certain treatment tactics:
- choosing the optimal set of exercises to combat excess weight;
- appointment of a course of physical therapy;
- exclusion of excessive physical exertion;
- conducting massage events;
- adjustment of regime and diet;
- to take special vitamin complexes.
To improve the condition of the lower extremities with varicose veins, the doctor may recommend that the patient wear tight clothing. You should pay attention to nutrition: it is better to exclude smoked meats, high-fat foods, fried foods.
Moderate physical activity, such as cycling, running and even walking, will be beneficial for the disease. You should not go to saunas with varicose veins.
The power of folk remedies against varicose veins
Green tomatoes have been found to be beneficial for varicose veins. Therapy involves tying tomato slices to the veins until they are ripe.
The popularity of this method is due to the fact that in the heat the vessels begin to give more "buzz" and more swelling. At the same time, the tomato begins to read, and finding such a drug will not be difficult for you.
Datura seeds are also often used for home remedies. According to well-known herbalists, they are an effective tool for the treatment of varicose veins.
For therapy, vodka-based dop infusion is used, special compressors are injected into the painful legs.
Horse chestnut and vodka-based infusion. To do this, take two tablespoons of plant flowers, pour alcohol for half a week, infuse for 2 weeks. After passing the infusion through the mesh, you can drink a tablespoon twice a day after meals.
Freshly squeezed juices of vegetables and fruits are useful not only to thin the blood, but also to improve circulation, you can read about it in the reviews. The following mixtures are used for this: spinach, carrots, beets or carrots, celery, parsley.
If you decide to seek proven folk remedies, you should consult your doctor.
Preventive measures for varicose veins include the use of compresses, management of body weight, smoking cessation and alcohol.
You also need a regular foot massage, increased physical activity, body hygiene procedures, a contrasting shower and a proper diet.
You have to take turns between work and rest. When a person is sitting, you should not cross your legs and put them on top of each other. The fact is that such postures interfere with normal blood circulation and lead to this disease.
If a person is forced to sit for a long time, you should periodically get up and change your position.
It is better not to wear tight underwear and clothes, they provoke varicose veins. High-heeled shoes loved by women are also of no use. It is recommended that you try to wear them less.
- "Sclerotherapy is especially relevant in the early stages of pathology. Then this method shows remarkable results and leaves no trace on the legs. Laser treatment is significantly tolerated by people, but after that you need a little rehabilitation. A person may experience bruising, pain, fever. "But these are temporary concerns. NSAIDs are often prescribed by doctors. They are rarely prone to surgery. "
- "If treated with laser, patients are advised to follow it, but do not forget the compression stockings. The pathology itself does not pose a threat to human life, it can not be said about the complications it causes. For example, this disease can cause thromboembolism. causes. "
Varicose veins, if left untreated, can lead to complications. Therefore, if you want to maintain the beauty and health of your feet, pay attention to the smallest changes and consult a doctor in a timely manner.
And even better - lead a lifestyle that will save you from pathology. We wish you good health and prosperity!